Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Introduction to Clicker Training

So after reading several books and article after article on training dogs, I finally gave in and bought an introductory book on clicker training. I decided to go with a book called Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs written by Karen Pryor. It's not a very long book, so after reading for 45 minutes I had a good introduction to clicker training and was ready to start working with Jake.

I started with a clicker and a pocket full of treats. As instructed, I simply started walking around the house and pressing the clicker and then dropping a treat on the floor every time I clicked.

I did 3 short 5-minute sessions within 45 minutes and I noticed that if I clicked Jake would start looking for a treat. Once I knew I had his attention I started asking him sit, down, stay, go on your bed, in your cage, etc and every time he did what I asked I clicked and rewarded with a treat.

That is when my husband come home from work and asked me what I was doing. I did a bit of a demonstration before he decided to give it a try.

I may have made a believer out of my husband. Jake already has the basic commands down, we just need to find a way to reliably get him to listen. At the end of the evening, Jake is now coming in the house when called from the backyard, which he would not do prior to tonight. The only difference is the clicker training tonight. Jake excitedly comes when called and sits in front of my husband which is when he clicks and gives him a treat. We still have a long way to go, but we finally feel like we are making some progress.

I just want to add that the Karen Pryor book is a great introduction to clicker training and goes through in detail how to sit, down, come and walk on leash in detail. I read some negative comments that it didn't go into greater detail for other commands. I don't necessarily see that as a negative. Once you understand the concept of clicker training and your dog is responding, the sky is the limit. You can shape any behaviour you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment