Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 3 - Training Jake and my Husband

So, I had started this whole training adventure with Jake all on my own without any support from my husband. He had 3 Shepherd's earlier in his life and he says it was so easy to train them. They just listened without very much training needed. So I think he's a little frustrated that Jake isn't the same way.

So I explained to my husband that the problem wasn't at Jake's end of the leash, but at our end and he didn't like that too much. But I forged ahead and without saying anything else, I planned to simply show him the difference the training was making with Jake.

I didn't expect it only to take 3 days to get my husband on board. One of the common problems we have is Jake gets overly excited when my husband gets home from work and jumps on him. So when my husband got home I put some small training treats in his hand and told him to ask Jake to sit. Jake didn't sit for very long each time, but it stopped him from jumping as much as he usually does.

So we did a small training session together and worked on touch, sit, down and stay. After the short training session, Jake was destracted from his excitement and lay down to chew his bone. I think I got my husband's attention.

As the evening went on, my husband admitted I might have been right. He told me that when Jake was digging in the front yard, he called his name and he came right away sitting and waiting for his treat. Due to the fact that Jake was listening better and coming when he was called, he got to spend more time outside with Daddy!

So, we may not have worked on anything new yesterday, but getting my husband on board was a big step forward! With us both being consistent with Jake, it will make everyone's life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment